Lots of you know that broad audiences can be scaled a lot. We’re talking here min $1-2k per campaign budgets with 1-10 interests. If we have interests inside with 1-10MM audiences, we will start campaigns with $300-$500.
Lately most of them they will stop working when we scale to $1k or more per day, but some of them will. Depends on your account as they all perform very differently.
What about smaller audiences? Can they also be scaled to the same ad spend per day?
Most gurus will tell no, but we have a strategy that can work very well. And if executed correctly, it can bring 2-3x better ROAS that broad campaigns.
So what is the strategy you will ask. Let me tell you first about segmentation and how to make proper campaigns setup for smaller audiences.
Segmentation and Proper Campaign Set Up for Smaller Audiences
Segmentation means that based on our testing data, we will create segmented plan for our ‘pocket’ campaigns.
First we will test the hell out of broad interests and LLAs. I’m talking here about 20-30 campaigns, sometimes 50. We will get enough data so we understand our account and audiences. Placement will obviously be mobile and FB feed is our winner in 80%. But IG feed and stories performs very well too.
We know that online shopping interest works well, and that Female gender is bringing 70% of all sales. Best LLA is Pur 2% and 4% but IC and ATC works too. As we sell worldwide, we know that US, AU and UK are our Top 3.
ROAS for the last 30 days is 1.9 and our client is making 5% net profit.
Not much but we tested a lot and we didn’t lose money. That is a win because client just signed with DimNiko Agency, and before they didn’t know what they were doing.
They spent near 55k on ads in their fresh account, and they ended at -7k loss after 3 months of all kinds of ‘testings’.
And what now? DimNiko media buyer who is taking care of their account is now, ready to go into ROUND 2 of testings.
Budget: 1k per day
Testing campaigns: 10
Budget of each campaigns: $100
- 1- best INT 1 – 3 adsets – narrow down – suggestion mix – Female only – Mob – FB feed only – Country: US+UK+AU
- 2- best INT 1 – 3 adsets – narrow down – suggestion mix – Female only – Mob – IG feed + stories – Country: US+UK+AU
- 3- best INT 2 – 3 adsets – narrow down – suggestion mix – Female only – Mob – FB feed only – Country: US+UK+AU
- 2- best INT 2 – 3 adsets – narrow down – suggestion mix – Female only – Mob – IG feed + stories – Country: US+UK+AU
- 5- PUR 30d LLA – 10 adsets – 2,4,6,8,10% – narrow down best INT1 mix – Female only – Mob – FB feed only – Country: US+UK+AU
- 2- PUR 30d LLA – 10 adsets – 2,4,6,8,10% – narrow down best INT1 mix – Female only – Mob – IG feed + stories – Country: US+UK+AU
- 7- PUR 90d LLA – 10 adsets – 2,4,6,8,10% – narrow down best INT2 mix – Female only – Mob – FB feed only – Country: US+UK+AU
- 2- PUR 90d LLA – 10 adsets – 2,4,6,8,10% – narrow down best INT2 mix – Female only – Mob – IG feed + stories – Country: US+UK+AU
- 9- IC 180d LLA – 10 adsets – 2,4,6,8,10% – narrow down best INT1+2 mix – Female only – Mob – FB feed only – Country: US+UK+AU
- 2- ATC 180d LLA – 10 adsets – 2,4,6,8,10% – narrow down best INT1+2 mix – Female only – Mob – IG feed + stories – Country: US+UK+AU
Besides all above, we also have MOF and BOF that are working really well and bringing ROAS around 3.2.
We also have few other broad campaigns that are working well.
Overall, only 30% of our whole daily budget is set for the Round 2 testing phase. After 7-14 days and many turned off ad sets during our optimization process, we can mark our first few ‘big winners’ of ROUND 2, for which we already know they will work for another month or two.
Sometimes even 3-6 months, depends on the creatives and competition.
We noticed that with this segmentation, specially with LLAs, we can find pockets of traffic where we dominate and where our ads can work for a really long time.
With ROAS at 2-3x bigger than with our broad campaigns strategies. So the key to finding good pocket traffic is of course – TESTING.
And with testing we mean testing every small pocket of traffic you can find. At small budget, middle or big budget.
Small for us now is $50 per day, middle is $100-200, and big is $300-$500.
At the beginning of 2020 we would say this differently, but now this is our favorite spot.
There are few exemptions but in general, small budget is used for interest below 1MM, middle is 1-10MM and big is 10MM or more.
Then you might guess, next step is ROUND 3, where we gonna test MALE gender and AUTO placements. Then in 3rd month, we gonna try new creatives and ad copy with our proven winners we got so far. And after that, we will go for video viewers 95% LLAs and Top spenders 5,10 and 25% LLAs.
The end goal is to find enough of ‘small pocket’ traffic, where we can by putting lots of campaigns there, scale to the same budget per day as with few broad campaigns.
Yeah we know, it’s a lot of work but that’s why our results are much better than yours.Not many media buyers and business owners, have time and knowledge to do our way of segmentation.
And not many businesses out there know how to plan testings strategically.
If you know how to make a strategic testings plan for 3-6 months, then you are already ahead of the curve.
Probably for you this knowledge is nothing special so you don’t need us. But if you think you need somebody to execute your 3-6 month scaling strategy, then book a call with us:
We can make things happen.
We have blueprints and tools for different scaling strategies. All we want at the end of the day, is a respectful client who will say:
Damn guys, you nailed it. Let’s make a top notch scaling strategy for 2021!
Have a wonderful day, hope to see you inside.
Matej – Senior media buyer at DimNiko